First off a "Taggie" in our home, is a small square blanket with ribbons sewn along all four edges. The white and blue material in Coopers lap.
Okay now that you know what I am talking about lets get onto my story. It all started when Cooper was born and one of my cute beehives made him the "white Taggie". I never thought he would get all that attached, but as days went by, we found that he could not sleep without it.
A few months later that same cute Beehive made me the "blue Taggie". Perfect I thought, now I can give one while the other one was getting washed......
Well he has become rather attached to BOTH of the taggies, and have become essential component of our family, going everywhere with us! He not only has to have them to sleep with, but as you can see......
He has taken them on many hiking trips

to the grocery store, Church, anywhere in the car. Of course whenever he is with friends the Taggies need to come to their house to play also.
to the grocery store, Church, anywhere in the car. Of course whenever he is with friends the Taggies need to come to their house to play also.
Those poor blankets, I know it sacrilege to call them that, get so dirty. They are dragged through the dirt and getting dropped on the floor. Driven over all sorts of makeshift roads collecting dirt and germs of unknown origins. It has come to the point I really should wash them daily. (this brings us back to the story of today).
So as of lately we both have had to compromise to save me from a life as a Old wash woman. When we leave our home, I let Cooper pick only one to come with us. (He is very good to hand me the chosen one), once we are in the car and we hit our destination he will leave the one taggie in the car until we return. If we play outside he gives me both of them or puts them in the house on his own before playing. So I feel like we have made some progress with these prized possessions. Of course trying to wash them is an other issue all together.
Every time I put them in the washer he cries for a good 5 minutes, checking them every 20 minutes. So I have tried everything, letting him put them in the washer himself, sneaking them from him at night while he sleeps, well nothing works he still stands by the washer and cries. Or wakes up in the night and cries for them.
This brings us to today. I thought I was being really sneaky, Cooper fell asleep in the car on our way home from errands with his one taggie in hand. So as I carried him to his bed I purposely left the other one out of his crib and laid him down. I threw a load of laundry in along with the white taggie. Everything was great. He usually takes 3 hour naps in the afternoon. He had been asleep for about 2 1/2 hours and I hear an "uh oh", and then crying. So I go upstairs to find him standing straight up looking for the other taggie! I get him out of bed as he continues to look for it, under the bed, around him room whining about it the whole time. So he took my hand and led me down the stairs to look for the lost Taggie. I showed him that it was in the washer, this appeased his Taggie drive for the moment, but still sulked and was rather grumpy. This sour attitude was due to: (A) he didn't get enough sleep or (B) he is missing his other half!
Meanwhile we have made it through the rest of the day, still a little grumpy, but fine. After his evening bath, lathered in lotion, and pj's on, he jumps off my lap scoots down the stairs and runs straight to the washing machine. Yep he remembered!! By that time the taggie was in the dryer and thankfully dry. I gave him his taggie and of course the rest is history. He has them both and couldn't be happier.

I have decided that my son is pretty darn smart and doesn't forget a thing. I am so amazed at how well he understands things and our communication is getting better. I doubt we will ever get rid of these taggies, but hey as Sheryl Crow taught us that if it makes you happy it cant be that bad.
5 comments:
The joys of little ones being attached to their blankets! Taylor is 3 and she still SCREAMS when I have to wash her blanket (I actually have a video of it that I have been meaning to post...it's hilarious!). I was a little smarter with Parker, his is a smaller 'security' blanket, so it's not as huge to carry around. But I also have TWO of the same blankets for him. While one is in the wash, he is fine because the other one is in his hand. Maybe that same beehive can make an identical set of both the white and blue, so while one set washes, he still has BOTH of the other set?!!?!?!
I'm sure it's a pain, but at least it's nice to know that there is one (or two) thing(s) that will always comfort him. I think it's cute...I'm sure one day he'll get over it (maybe when he's 16 and ready to go on a date) and you'll miss the days when he loved his lovies oh so much.
Cami has a super soft sleeping blanket and a stuffed puppy. I don't let her have them outside the crib. I'm hoping this will result in it ALWAYS being in the crib, and never carried around. One can only hope...
Those little taggie blankets are so cute. Be glad that they are little. When Galla was a baby I thought, "why should she have to have a dinky baby blankie? A nice plush throw blanket would be much more cozy." At 4 years old she is still attatched to that huge, dingy, ragged red thing. She only has to have it at sleep times so it doesn't often leave the house, but packing it when we are going to be gone over night is a pain!
That was an awesome blog. I think everyone has a "taggie" like story. Brittany literally wore her "blankie" to shreds. I have a little 2" x 2" piece of it in her journal. They sure become attached.
Ahhh the taggie...I think it's fun when they have something they are so attached to. You'll have some good stories to tell...
Post a Comment